R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - THE 2010 US ON-ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY NOVAK ELECTRONICS
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
mrrcguy
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRACKSIDE
Glad you enjoyed the report. It was a great event and from the emails and PM's I received everyone had a great time. I think the ESC situation worked out great and there was not 1 question if somebody was doing something against the rules. thanks to my Tech crew for doing a great job with this.

We all look forward to seeing everyone next year for USORC Jan 6,7,8,9 2011

Thanks
Scotty and crew.
I agree the decisions made for the ESC issues worked out well. I have implemented some these same things into my classes/regulations for the coming outdoor season at Mid America RC Raceway. Some of it will need revision later in the season Im sure but I believe this will work for now. Take a look.

MID AMERICA RC RACEWAY
As technology evolves so does racing. For this reason the classes raced here at Mid America RC Raceway tend to change each season. Recent developments is Electronic Speed Controls and Brushless Motors have drastically changed the power output and speed we have become used to over the last couple years. This has caused many race directors and the governing bodies for radio control racing around the globe to seek out new ways to modify a number of class in the interest of keeping the speeds in check so that drivers of all skill levels have a class that is suitable for their abilities.
I, as a race director of over ten years, am a firm believer in offering classes that have specifications in place to help control the speeds of the cars and also the cost of racing of racing as a whole. For this reason I have adopted some new regulations pertaining to the Vintage Trans Am and 17.5 Touring Car classes. It is my hope that these changes will be embraced by racers in this region with the understanding that the best interest of the racing public is always the first priority in such decisions.
Below is a list of the classes that will be the primary focus at Mid America Raceway for the 2010 outdoor season. I have also included a list of some of the basic rules, both new and old, for each class. Upon request we may acknowledge additional classes if there is enough interest.
TAMIYA MINI Basic TCS rules. http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/index.php

NOVICE This class is for anyone who is just getting their feet wet in RC Racing. Any Electric Chassis is allowed. Any battery with a voltage of 8.4 volts or lower is allowed. Any electric motor is allowed as long as the speed of the car is reasonably close to the majority of the field (15 - 22mph). Race director may refuse admission to this class at any time.

Vintage Trans Am Basic USVTA rules apply with some exceptions. http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html Currently only Novak, LRP, KO, & Tekin ESC's are allowed. All ESC's must be set to their lowest power profile (no advanced timing or boost). Cars using 21.5t motors must use a gear ratio (FDR) between 5.2 - 6.0. Cars using 25.5t motors must use a gear ratio (FDR) between 4.2 - 6.0. These motor and gearing specifications are a starting point for the 2010 season and they will be adjusted accordingly if needed.

17.5 TC (limited) For this class, we are taking a few notes from the, 2010 Unites States On Road Championships. All 4wd, 190mm, electric powered, sedans are allowed. All 190mm sedan bodies are allowed. All bodies must run the stock wing and it must be level to the roof line +/- 1/8th inch. The minimum legal weight is 1425 grams. For "Non Title" events all cars must run the spec tire (MM Sweep 36R). ROAR legal 7.4 volt lipo batteries are allowed. ROAR legal 17.5t brushless motors are allowed. Currently only Novak, LRP, KO, & Tekin ESC's are allowed. All Tekins must run the version "200" software or older. These motor and ESC specifications are a starting point for the 2010 season and they will be adjusted accordingly if needed.

TC PREP (open) This class is all new for Mid America and the 2010 season. This class will give advanced TC racers an opportunity to prepare for other events. Drivers must pre-qualify for this class. To prequalify, before official qualifying begins, drivers will get one run of 10 laps. Their top 5 laps will be averaged to give their qualifying lap time. If this lap time is at or below the preset lap time, which is specific to each layout, then that driver is considered qualified to run the TC PREP class. Qualified drivers will not have to re-qualify for the class until the track layout is redone. The "Pre-Qual Time" will be set using a 17.5 motor. However, drivers may use any motor up to a 10.5 to run their "Pre-Qual". This class is technically an open motor and open tire class. However, drivers will likely come to an agreement to run similar motors each week to keep the racing tight. Any ESC is allowed. All bodies must run the stock wing and it must be level to the roof line +/- 1/8th inch. The minimum legal weight is 1425 grams.