R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Lee_123
Tech Adept

Default Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo

Just got one off these controller/motor combos. The basic idea of this controller was to offer an all in one sport level controller/motor combo which didn't need a booster or a receiver battery. It has an internal "smart booster" to run a 1s LiPO without needing a booster or reciever battery.

Initial impressions.
Packaging makes use of the current 2s boxes. All printing on the boxes reference 2s batteries or 4 to 7 cell NiMH batteries. The only indication that it's a 1s system is a sticker on the box saying it is a 1s controller.

All included paper work is for the generic 2s LiPO version of the controller with the exception of a small yellow sheet that is 1s specific.

Looks like product roll out was ahead of the printing press.

Inside the ESC is prewired to the motor. A power capacitor is premounted on the ESC and a second glitch buster capacitor is included to connect to your receiver.

I can't test how well this system works right now because I feel it needs some work before I can use it in my 1/12th pan car.

First the battery connector has to be changed from the white Tamiya style connect to either a Deans (my choice) or bullet connectors. I don't think I've ever seen a Tamiya connector on a 1s LiPO battery.

The wires from the ESC to the motor are soldered without an intermediate connector. When I checked for positioning on chassis I couldn't get the wires to lay flat and not interferre with the shock and press against the body. This is a nuisance. Another thing I dislike is the gauge of the wire. They look like sausages, not the 16awg wire I normally see used on 1s LiPO powered cars.

The combo feels heavy, 276 grams, without the glitch buster capaciter. However, I haven't pulled my old system out of my car and weighed it yet, ( LRP QC3, Trinity Komodo 19t BR, 4 cell NiMH).

Lastly this ESC is tall. It has a preinstalled heat sink on it that doesn't look like it will fit under a 1/12th body. Because of the wiring interferrence I couldn't get a good look at this.

So before I can use it I feel I need to:
Hit the Novak website to see if removing the heat sink voids the warranty.
Hit the Novak website and look for up to date documentation.
Change the battery connector.
Change the wires to a resonable size wire gauge.
Install bullet connectors on the motor leads.

Looks like a great idea that fell a wee bit short on execution.

Oh and the literature says it is not compatible with 4 cell NiMH batteries.

Anyone tried to install this on a 1/12th with the heat echange installed, did it fit? If you removed the heat exchanger were the Temps Ok?

Thanks