R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 PM
VRacing
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kn7671
I would have to say No from my recent bench testing while hooked up and logging with the Novak Sentry.

What I found is that the timing boost does not seem to do anything below 30-deg of timing. I check the max rpm with the Sentry at 0, 10, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 deg of timing, and not until I reach 30-deg did I see an rpm increase, and only by 500rpm's on a 13.5 Duo2 1S, and 2500rpm's on a 13.5 Ballistic 2S.

When I added Turbo timing to both setup's, the rpm's increased drastically, and varied depending on base timing, boost timing, and turbo timing.
I'm sure that your findings give you some relationship to the point where Timing advance starts to pick up. Several of the Tekin guys have talked about 40 being the spot where a setup should start as that is where advance starts to produce. Then work your way up to the 50 range and beyond.

There is one fundamental problem with the process of "bench testing". That is there is no load on the motor. You can easily "bench test" a setting that applies way to much timing at to quick of an advance rate. It sounds impressive on the "bench test", but under load on the track it may be severly bogged down and overheat the motor quickly. There was a guy on here about 100 posts back that was doing this and was shocked to get a temp back of well north of 200*. "Track Testing" is way more valuable than "Bench Testing"