R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ernest Provetti Open letter to RC Industry
Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
charlie_b
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really find this interesting. In 2007 when i announced i will be adapting the stock 17.5 rule to all my stock classes in 2008, i got a ton of heat from my racers. Quite a few actually stopped racing with me because i renamed the 13.5 class "Pro Stock" while the rest i kept the same. "Rookie, Intermediate, Sportsman Stock". The argument was "i can't keep up with the Pro stock guys". The funny thing was when i allowed the 13.5 and the 17.5 cars to mix prior to 2007, the 13.5 guys were clearly faster regardless of "skill". The big issue to me was that there just wasn't enough 13.5 Sportsman Drivers to make their own class.

Three years later, the racers adapted pretty well. Consistently having full Rookie, Intermediate, and Sportsman Stock 17.5 drivers, it became the norm for my races. With the introduction of RCGT, 17.5 gained a Pro or Expert Class and shortly after, a expert 17.5 class.

My point is, 17.5 is fast, but not so fast that it will scare beginners away. Nor do i think it is the home for "Sand-Baggers". Obviously, when turn outs are low, the expert driver will have to run with the sportsman drivers and vice versa. It is no different from 10-15 years ago when the brushed rebuildable 24* stock motors were the standard and there was Sportsman and Expert Stock.

The problem isn't with the technology. It is how race programs control it. Of coarse, some things are out of the race program's control, like low turnouts=everyone mixed together. Nothing can be done about that. But if there is a a chance to separate the expert/pro drivers from the mere mortals, im sure it would be done. Welcome technology. Don't hold it back. It really isn't about who spends the $$ at a club level race 100% of the time. Believe it or not, driving still is the biggest advantage over the technology. It has been proven time and time again at my track. One 14 year old racer who i just bumped up to Sportsman Stock is running a Cyclone S, V1.0 Speed Passion esc and a V1.0 17.5 with 3200 Yeah racing Lipos. He has beaten drivers with the new Orion 45C's and Tekin esc's. All driving.

We get new racers all the time, not quite as often as before due to the economy. But if we focus less on "who has the best equipment" and emphasize on Driving and Set Up, i don't think people would find as many excuses why they are slow on the track.

What ever motor, whether it is 17.5, 21.5 or 10.5, there clearly should be a separation of skill levels, not dooming a motor type or making a NEW MOTOR CLASS. If i was told to get rid of my 17.5's, i probably wouldn't race as much. Know who the fast guys are and put them in a class of their own if the entries permit. Like my race program, be conistant and it will flourish.