R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
tomracing
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
I haven't tried the older top deck before, so I have nothing to compare it to. Talking with Hiro, they are very similar. I doubt I would be able to tell a difference between the two to be honest.

I cut my upper deck because it smoothed the car out a bit, especially in high grip tracks. It does feel like it creates more grip in the middle and exit of the corner to me, so sometimes you might have to make a setup change or two to get the overall effect you are aiming for.

-Korey
I do believe the wce upper deck has more flex then the Tc version. also i did find a difference (be it small) in lap time on a test i did on our local large tarmac track. I also used a cut wce topdeck once and the car was slower and felt very lazy.

but what we are tuning here is actually a bit strange to me. creating more torsional flex (by cutting the topdeck) disconnects the front and rear roll stiffness more.
normally (if the chassis was infinitely stiff) the front and rear roll stiffness would form a balance point we can tune to. now if this balance would be way off your car would not handle well of course. by allowing more flex we disconnect this balance allowing the roll stiffness balance to be off the optimum.
Now would a car be faster with optimal roll stiffness balance and a connected front and rear roll stiffness
OR
are there cases where the roll stiffness needs to be wrong so the only way to get it to work would be to disconnect the effect by allowing flex?