R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Rolling
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Greg Sharpe
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vitomon
so far from what i understand you guys recommend the following meassures against traction roll (no particular order):

-softer oil (eg 450 MuchMore)
In my experience on super high grip carpet surfaces, using more dampening (than your springs would usually need) slows down the weight transfer from turn-in to MAX tire loading. It's the MAX loading that was causing my traction rolling issues (not a loose rear dumping over), so I added dampening to the front and it slowed the entire weight transfer down curing the traction roll. I had tried reducing the dampening, but the car traction rolled more easily.

On the topic of camber, I had gone to 0.5' up front in an effort to reduce front grip and thus the traction roll. However, I had done so many little things to avoid traction rolling that when all was said and done, the car wouldn't go any faster than a 10.9 sec lap. I knew the car needed the standard changes to bring front grip back, but couldn't do any of them because of the traction rolling issues. In a last ditch effort, I glued the sidewalls AND began undoing all the changes I had made to cure the traction rolling. Whalla! The car is now capable of going 3/10ths faster per lap! The only downside to the glued sidewalls is that they actually build grip over the course of the day and need to be reglued once per race day.

Timing when weight gets to the tires is the key to curing traction rolling.