R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 AM
oeoeo327
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonyK
I'm am wondering if this is a foolish idea. I am sitting on an Associated 12 L3. I would like to run a brushless and lipo in it. Is this a goofy idea considering how old the car is? Getting a lipo specific car right is not in the plans. I would only be running at club level races and learning to set up the car.
The hardest part will be mounting the brushless motor in the rear pod, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of getting a brushless setup to fit properly. I had a CRC Carpet Knife 3.2R that required minimal modifications to the left side pod plate to accept the sensor wire, otherwise the motor fit without any problems. You'll probably be limited to using very small spur gears (72-74 teeth), and you'll also be limited in your choice of gear ratios due to the limited space. I'd borrow a brushless motor from a fellow racer, install it in the pod to see where mods need to be made, and proceed if it seems that you'd be able to perform the modifications while allowing the suspension to work properly.

LiPo battery selection will be limited to the new SpeedZone 1S LiPo saddle pack - racers have tried other adaptations, but use of the new saddle pack is really the way to go.

While most bodies will "fit", stick to the ProtoForm AMR-12 since it has the most room for motor wiring and proper side-to-side pod articulation.

Hope this helps - better get the Dremel ready!!!