R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Pro!
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Tom Slick
Tech Regular

Default Beck in blech

WN--Jeez, I gotta admit, that looks really good in black. The official Tamiya body pics did it in chrome silver, which is overdone unless you do all the McLaren decals too, so I must say your choice of black is pretty cool!

If your track is really bumpy like Tamiya's, try the "old" red spring, or even the super-soft gold spring off the old M04 kits, and 20-wt oils. Then you can start dialing in steering with the radio and with the usual tricks.

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Mostly finished my F104 now and raced it for the first time today. Might repaint the helmet still, so I haven't stuck the visor decal on yet. Gotta say it's a tight fit to get everything under this body without any problems. Luckily I'm running brushed, so it's not so tough, especially with the Tekin FX ESC, which is insanely small.
The handling is pretty good out of the box running on our low grip super tight track here. The steering seemed touchy at first, but I got used to it after a few minutes and started to dial more dual rate back in. Our track is really really bumpy and I managed to catch an inch or two of air off a few of the bumps! The car was surprisingly stable over the bumps though and only sent me almost into the wall once or twice all day, which isn't so bad. Didn't break anything, almost no tire wear and didn't need to make any adjustments besides gearing. Stock foams worked well and responded good to Niftech traction compound
I'm running a 200g lipo and the Tamiya silver can motor right now. Has decent speed on the small and very tight track here.

My "murdered out" paint scheme. The lip on the wheels is just 3.2mm (cut in half for the front) vinyl striping tape.

Focus was a bit to far forward on this one, but it shows the whole paint scheme at least.

Aussie- F60 looks good so far.