R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 08:32 AM
VRacing
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Does this information sound right to y'all?

Parma and Jaco use the same wheel and the same foam to produce their 12th scale foam tires.

CRC uses their own wheel and a different manufacturer of foam. Some call this GRP foam, from Italy.

Are there any other companies to use the same foam as CRC, but mounted to a different rim?

I ask because I'm tired of the foam on the Jaco and param wheels peeling back. I can run a clean race and come back the edges are peeled. I tried CRC foams and ran them several times. I had several wrecks, board taps etc, and when all was said and done there was no peeling. he only problem was the wheels were more brittle and most broke before I could wear the foam down. I've never broken a Jaco rear wheel.

I'm basically looking to get the foam I like (CRC, or GRP?) on a durable wheel. Thanks for any help.

AWD

PS- If wanted to remove old foam from a rim, which solvent would you think would remove the foam from the wheel best? lol, you know where I am going with this.
If you haven't tried the yellow wheeled TRC tires, you might try a few sets. They are the smaller diameter wheel, but the tire is made for TRC by GRP. The same compounds have the same characteristics when compared to CRC. You get the wheel that is like a Jaco and the more durable sidewall like the CRC. If you true tires anyway, the smaller size works great. I use 44mm rears and 42mm fronts. On the rears, the "Granite" is the same as a CRC Grey-Low.

Here are some steps I used when I ran Jaco's in the past. I think the problem is a substandard adhesive used to mount the foam.
1) peel up the outside edge right out of the box (5-7mm wide).
2) apply 3M weatherstrip adhesive with a small screwdriver or scrap lexan.
3) massage the edge to get full contact.
4) after it cures, super glue the rim seam and sidewall.
5) shape the sidewall on a truer. I go for a 15* angle back from the rim and then liberally radius the shoulder of the tire.

Frankly, Jaco's are a pain in the @$$. This seems like a lot of work, but we don't have those damn brushed motors and round cells to maintain anymore do we?

I do steps 4 and 5 from above on every set of tires I run. Consistency pays off at some point? Or, it should, I think?

Aaron