R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - So Cal raceway to much$$
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 04:52 PM
hierog
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Wink

Speedworld is the track closest to me, and he got rid of their transponder system late this summer and it forced us "regulars" to buy our own. no problem, it works in the long run cause i can use it anywhere. Billy doesn't add money to our entries, but they will "rent" a transponder for the day to anybody that needs one. He makes it a "rent to own" meaning after 3 or 4 times renting a transponder, he takes that money that was spent for the rent and puts it towards buying one. That's pretty fair. That way, it's not a total loss for the person renting as they get the money back (sort of) and the casual racer doesn't have to plop 70 bucks down to race for a day. Now if a place is charging a "transponder fee", and everybody has to pay it, that seems pretty crappy and I'd be upset about having to pay it too! If a track wants to raise the fees, just do it or let everybody know that the fee hike was to improve the place for all customers, not just for those who don't have transponders.
As far as breaking a $3.00 part and not being able to race for the day: if a kid is dropped off to race, I'm pretty sure the kid knows a few people there. One thing I've learned in my short time of racing is that everybody is helpful.
I know you were just making a point - just had to put in my .02 (if it's even worth that!)

vic