R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Foam tires in long main runs
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 AM
fastharryDOTcom
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Geberit
I have a question regarding tire strategy. Tire ware in a car can be very different. For example right front tire is getting smaller quicker then the left one!

Drivers around the World tackle this challenge in three different ways:
1. use different tire dimensions at start;
2. use different shore rates (harder/softer);
3. Combination of 1. and 2.

Which methods prefer the pro-drivers?

I personally don’t like the first one because if you take two different diameters (let’s say at the front) and set the ride height equal on both sides in the end you finish with very different heights looking front left/right! So on start you have to compensate the ride height as well when the tires get worn unequally the ride height changes unequally…

Have the experienced drivers some tips on this topic?

Thanks!

I always run a harder shore in back and tune the car based on a softer front tire. I set the car up with the OD of the tire I expect at mid race, and then start with a set of tires a couple of MM's taller. By mid race I have the car in it's sweet spot and it is still running good at the end.

Also, I practice enough (and I can't stress this enough) so that I can drive the car under ANY conditions. I don't care if I'm driving on plastic wheels, I know exactly how fast I can run the car under those conditions....