R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks joey. I will help you move the wrong way as well. I run a lot with the washers as I need a 6 mm height.

Tuner EM-Trailing axles add caster. Much the same as the caster found on a shopping cart caster. Wheel contact patch is behind steering axis contact with the ground. Handling effects are predictable. Less corner entry traction more mid corner traction with trailing axles. As you have found this can produce a gentle corner entry. I prefer this. I don't want to shock the car into the turn and produce any rear slide nor to get traction roll on carpet.

Caster has a jacking effect on the inside front. The inside front of the chassis is jacked up as the wheels turn. This is always so with wheels of any width. On a bicycle it is different and caster causes a drop. This jacking of the inside front is responsible for unloading the overloaded outside front and causing the increased steering at mid corner. Wedge has been added.

As you note the steering effort is not felt. I have suspected, though, that cornering force may make the wheel wobble or break over center causing an abrupt change in steering with inline axles later in the turn. Trailing axles smooth this out as does reactive caster.

Others prefer the inline axle. As far as I know I was first to discuss the simple effect of this change on caster on this site.

I tend not to use the trailing axle setting on the CRC front end. It just seems too much. This larger, than Associated, setting was caused by the need to use larger diameter axles when using aluminum axles.

On my custom front ends I still like the Associated style trailing axle.

Tim-Put the riser plates back in. You need the stiffness. Running just two aluminum screws will cause them to shear off on occasion in a crash. Run two steel screws and nuts inboard instead and protect the hole shape. Then, the outboard screw can be removed. This will add a tiny bit of flex.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-04-2010 at 04:24 PM.