R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 AM
ercwhtsd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys,

I just want to make a few comments with the developements that have transpired over the last 24 hours or so within the USVTA rule set.

For those of you that do not know me, let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I own a small shop smack dab in the middle between Chicago and Milwaukee otherwise known as Harbor Hobbies or The Track depending on who you talk to. We have been in a small sort of way involved with the USVTA since it's creation.

I commend what everyone has done to dream, think and create, which would include the group in Montana and Mimi's as well as Marty and the guys at Trackside and Doug and crew with the now national USVTA, what is the most exciting RC racing around were wins are sometimes pulled out of the hat on the last lap on the last turn and weekly battles between racers are a treat to watch and an 8 year old is battling dad for position. Go John jr.!

When this all started about 2 years or so ago VTA was almost 2 seconds a lap slower than stock TC, now it has become as little as .8 seconds slower per lap on some tracks, which in my opinion has become way to fast.

While everyone is concerned with the costs involved for the new rules in the fall of 2010, you also have to consider the hobbyshops that get caught in the middle of the "flavor of the week". ESC's,batteries, tuning aids all fall out of favor very quickly. Some shops are able to get out from under their inventory while others get stuck. I myself have (4) SS21.5's in my case right now as well as a Havoc Spec 21.5 combo with no appearant outlet.

Limiting the FDR is/was only a stop gap measure. The USORCC ( Novak Race) has set the FDR at 5.2 for VTA and no "boost" function as well as no one-ways, so this in a sense will be the first real world test case for slowing these cars down. Yes, paint may dry faster on tracks that have straights longer than 100', but the race is very rarely won during the drag race to the finish line.

Look at it this way, the ESC wars are over in VTA. We as racers do not have to worry if "Joe" is actually running a legal FDR and Bill can bring back out his GTB powered TC3 (fastest out of control VTA car I have every seen :-) ), and I can put my XBR back in a car and have some fun.

I want to thank all those who were involved in testing the 25.5 as well as all the other options that were looked at before a decision was made. I think it is the right decision in the right direction.

It's time to start planning for the USVTA Nationals and there is not much time :-)