R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc
Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

With mod motors the XXX-s has no friction disadvantage that it does in high traction with stock motors. Something about the single belt when it is wound on really tight slows a stock a bit.

The JRXS will work well on a big open track with very high traction. With lower traction I favor the XXX-S g+

As far as I know there are four chassis flavors. Those without cutouts are the RTR and the Stiffzell original. The RTR plastic is a little blacker. Good flex for slippery conditions like you said.

The first graphite chassis was cutout quite a bit and had an L for Losi cut in the left rear bottom just aft of the motor.

The second graphite chassis (possibly a Matt Francis Edition) had more cutouts in an X pattern no L. The bottom is then lightened by milling a little. Cutouts near the steering bellcranks were huge. This is the lightest chassis, but really not much lighter than stiffzell if you make the same cutouts by hand. This last graphite edition is what I am racing now. I recovered the loss in traction over RTR by raising it up .5 mm to 6 mm ride height.

Originally Posted by Kajman
No, it will be only modified motors. Other question is if not to use xxx-s g+ on carpet and jrxs on big, open asphalt tracks with very good traction?
Other thing is what how exactly to find out which chassis is stiffzel? I have several G+, several rtr and some strange, which seem to be graphite, but fullframe, not cut as g+.
I guess g+ would be nice for high traction and carpet? And the "normal" for more slippery surfaces as it tweaks more?
The only car that has a distinct advantage over the XXX-S in Mod on a large track is a Serpent S120 with rear gear diff. It seems to have more rear traction and thus more corner exit acceleration. We do not have that option of a rear gear diff. In the same breath though, it makes the rear driveline delicate and failed to finish 5 of six heats in the last big race we had. I finished 2cnd with the XXX-S the S120 finished 8th in the main after a failure.