R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 AM
k_bojar
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
To this point I haven't seen anyone from Novak state that a program to trade SS motors for Ballistics is forthcoming, just some hopeful racers speculating. I think I DID see Novak 2 imply that a 25.5 SS may be in the works. If that were the case it is quite possible (likely?) that folks would be able to do the exchange of SS21.5 for SS25.5 . And again, it's not like this is the first time in the history of RC that motors have become obsolete and racers have needed to buck-up for a replacement to continue racing (or remain competitive, or...).
I already know they don't do a SSPro for a havoc exchange - already asked them that personally...I'm just hoping they do a 21.5ss for a 25.5ss exchange - to keep the cost of going the new route more feasible

Not sure if this is the case, but I DO know that the running change on the Havoc esc (effective any esc manufactured or re-manufactured early '08) was so that it looks for the over-temp sensor to be connected or it doesn't go. At least this is what I was told by someone at Novak product support when I was enquiring re: the difference between the SS21.5 and the 21.5 Crawler Edition. One of the common "hacks" to get more speed out of brushless in spec was to run the motors over temp, and to do so folks were cutting the temp sensor lead. The Havoc has less heat-rejection ability (smaller heat sink, etc) and were being burnt up (esc themselves) by this practice so the change was that the esc specifically "looks for" the temp sensing device and won't power-up if it doesn't see it. The thing I learned about the Crawler Edition motor is that instead of the temp sensor in the motor it has some sort of diode inside that the crawler esc (Goat?) "looks for" to activate the hill-holding brake when the throttle is at neutral, etc.

Regardless, I'm PRETTY sure the Havoc system will just quit running if the entire sensor bundle is unplugged. Like I said, I will test this and report the results to confirm for everyone. My esc was purchased in early '08 and appears to be one of the earlier non-protected units since it will (and does) run the Crawler Edition motor just fine (don't ask...got screwed by a seller in the BST area).
like i said, i'll gladly be wrong - but I know what I heard him read from the instructions and saw happen to the car...hopefully it was something else going on that caused the problems...

if not, i see an awful lot of GTB spread-spretums and havoc Pros being used...and then its still kinda back to non-parity issue...

"Boost" was only part of the problem...needed to eliminate esc-adjustable timing advance, hence "regression" to non-adjustable escs.
understood...