View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #61
marine6680
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbuter2000 View Post
Ok, this explanation reassures me, thanks Marine!

New question: why do you write "too much" solder in those examples in your drawing?
I thought that "too much" were only when it's too much between the post and the wire, but in the case of your two examples it's seem to me to have only the effect of fortifying the result. Am I wrong?
I'm glad to help.

Too much solder... More solder is not better for the connection, it does not make it stronger or electrically superior. Having too much solder can hide bad solder flow problems, is can also weaken the connection by having extra solder flowing into the un-stripped section of wire, making it break easier. Its best to use just enough solder to make a connection, it has less resistance and holds up better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
its a cheap one that I keep in my track bag....
Well if you can not get it out with some pliers with the iron on high, you may need a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbuter2000 View Post
I read on the page of "W.S. Deans Racing Silver Solder 1 oz." on Towerhobbies' site that "Silver or Gold plating requires a special solder. Ordinary solder causes a chemical reaction which will degrade the joint. Deans Racing Solder is 2% silver with high activity ProFlux. [...] The Best Solder for Silver and Gold Plated Surfaces."

Marketing or truth?
Yes, gold dissolves and reacts to tin and lead. Silver has issues as well. The joints are far less strong than they should be.

But the issue is not a big problem because gold and silver plated electrical components are designed to be used in mechanical/contact type connections like plugs and bullet connections. This is because gold and silver do not corrode as easily, and the addition of electricity and two types of metals causes a lot of corrosion, the gold plating stops/slows that process. Any normal part designed for solder will not be gold plated. (at least the solder tab area) So don't worry about that, Gold and silver plated parts cost a lot more than normal ones, a set of deans plugs would cost near $10 instead of $4.

Silver solder is harder to use and is actually more poisonous than lead solder. To me, unless it is absolutely needed, its benifits are not worth its problems.

It also has a higher acidic flux, with is harsher on components and iron tips, meaning it is even more important to clean up after. In the real world, there is no such thing as No-clean flux.
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote