R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR to change lipo voltage to 4.20 and 8.40
Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 PM
miller tyme
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I started Multi quoting a few individuals but this would have been a long post.

Bailey: The thought of DQ if it is over the Max but later stating that if someone checks it first but then runs it down out of your site then goes to tech it's ok......that is the epitome of stupid tech rules.

I'm fine with the rule on principal but I question the Accuracy and REPEATABILITY of most Chargers, even if my Ice or older updated CE Turbo 35 BL (which is only accurate to 0.1) charger yeilds a 8.40 in practice it could still yield a 8.41 in Qualifiers. I have seen a 0.02 swing and frankly there are times at ROAR races where I have run multiple classes and it is not always easy to get through tech to check Tech's meter (which by the way is in use by others), then get out of site to inconspicuously discharge your pack and then make it back through tech. In addition where is the standard place to measure the pack because there is a voltage drop for every connector and solder joint so if it is that important not to allow leeway, then they should all have access right at the cell tabs.

To those that wonder why this fuss was not raised with the 8.44 volt limit, most were at 8.42-8.43 and new they were safe and if not the could just bump it in tech to reduce the voltage and still be legal when put on the line, just like adding weight or trimming a wing.

I usually don't agree with much Fred B says (respect his opinion though) but I think it was he that mentioned the over discharged packs. If Safety is the real concern then this would seem a much more crucial area especially en-light of your 'acceptance' of covertly running the battery back down.

ROAR You made 1 Step forward with Brushless and Lipo acceptance but 2 steps back by not foreseeing the Tech explosion and setting a Price cap on motors/speedos, Similar to the Brushed motor limit. And now in today's economy your ready to DQ someone (potentially costing a minimum of 1/5 of their investment for the weekend) or force some to spend more $ on downgrades or new charges.......and for what 0.02 volts per cell...seems to me if that small difference is so dangerous maybe ROAR should have done better research before legalizing this horrendous potential fireball.