R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 03:48 PM
JCB
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Mike D
davidl - I disagree when you say that the spring steel t-plate might have too much rebound in its natural frequency to use on a bumpy track. I think the Silva spring steel t-plate destroys the fiberglass t-plats on bumpy tracks. Any inherent rebound dampening qualities of the different t-plate materials can be completely controlled by the center shock and damper tubes. I think tuning ability is greatly simplified and improved be decoupling the increased dampening (compared to spring steel) of the fiberglass material and the shock/tube dampening. On average, I run 10 wt higher in the center shock with the spring steel t-plate but fine tuning the dampening still depends on the track.

The spring steel t-plate does what fiberglass t-plates can't do. It combines the roll stiffness of a .075 t-plate with the forward compression stiffness of a .063 t-plate... with much, much, much more longevity and consistency. I have found on carpet that my car handles better and is quicker with the spring steel t-plate. It's kind of like running a .075 fiberglass t-plate that is good over the bumps and doesn't wear out after 1 or 2 weeks.

I do agree that each t-plate has its own characteristics and is good for a particular application, but I think right now the spring steel t-plate will work better then fiberglass t-plates in most applications.
Hey Mike,

Where can I get my hands on one of those Silva T-plate for my RC12L3? BTW, you going up to RC madness this weekend for the January Jam?

Later,