R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Racer X79
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What I've missed about VTA lately is the door to door action. When the class was new (and I raced in the first VTA race at Trackside....one of the first VTA races that I know of) the straight line speed was limited by what you could do with a 27t and a 4 cell. We could run 2 or 3 different lines on the track and race side by side for a whole race....now that was awesome racing. I hate to say it but right now the speeds have gotten too fast. The set up on the car has to be absolutely perfect and we are definitely maxing out the limits of the bodies and tires. That leads to more seperation among the top tier drivers/set ups and the guys that can drive well but don't completely understand the cars suspension and may be off a bit. That leads to frustration among the racers. It has turned into single lines around the track and to the point of if you even tap someone they spin out or are into a board. I feel if the cars are slowed back down a touch the racing fields will tighten back up and the "door to door" competion will be back. I guess the way I look at it is that anyone can go out and buy a really fast car and race it, and that's fine.......I prefer where everyone is equal and you really have to get up on the wheel and plan out your passes 2 laps ahead of time .... maybe giving someone a little door or fender to get by. No harm done and no putting into the wall.....just a good battle. It's not so much about "speed", it's about close competition.

We'll see how the VTA "Novak Race" rules work out. For those that don't know we're running 5.2 max FDR, no one ways allowed, and no "turbo" advance allowed - all other USVTA rules apply (except interiors). We've done quite a bit of testing with the FDR and it seems to work well, and the no one way/turbo rule has worked well locally and in the Hurricane All Star Series.

-John-

Last edited by Racer X79; 12-21-2009 at 10:21 PM.