Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 PM
marine6680
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Imbuter2000 View Post
1000 thanks Marine!
I just read all this thread and learned many things from you.

Here are my comments and questions:

- I read that the rosin in the Kester 44 is "non-conductive".
Maybe all rosins are non-conductive or mildly conductive... but, isn't it bad for our application? Isn't its electric resistance an issue? Isn't it better to avoid, if unnecessary, the use of rosin flux because of this?
I know that some rosin evaporates with the heat of soldering but what about the residue?

- Kester states that "Flux cored solder wire has a limited shelf life determined by the alloy used in the wire. For alloys containing > 70% lead, the shelf life is two years from date of manufacture. Other alloys have a shelf life of three years from date of manufacture". What happens after these 3 years? and how can we be sure to buy recent solder wire? where do you suggest to buy it online to be sure that it's recent?
I live in Europe and tin/lead wire is forbidden here therefore I must find a trustable source online extra-UE.

- I would suggest to add more videos

- I read that RMA means "rosin mildly activated" while you wrote "rosin medium activated"
Yes, flux can leave residue, plus any that drips will still be around, that is why you must clean after you solder. There are downsides to flux, and that is that you need to clean connections after you solder, because it can corrode or cause some shorting. The benefits are worth the extra time. Besides, if you use cored solder, you will still have flux residue left over, and non-cored solder will not flow without adding flux.

Shelf life, metals corrode over time, and flux speeds the process. The corrosion makes the solder not flow as well. It will still work for years on end, but will not be as easy to use as fresh. Just seal any extra up in an airtight container and you can even throw in some moisture absorbing material to make it last for practically forever. I have some that is near 10 years old that was factory sealed in plastic, it still works great.

I usually get my solder from work... so as for a an online source, I can't help you. I would try to find an online electronics supply site, one with a contact email that you can ask questions through. I also suggest getting 63/37 solder.

Yeah the lead free crap over there sucks, a mandatory electronic recycle law would be better for all I think. Less lead in the landfills and better quality connections in the products.

I will see if I can find some more good videos, If I get time, I may make my own. It may take a while though.

RMA, it can be said either way, its the same thing in the long run.