R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2s LifePO4 battery packs above 2Ah & under 400g
Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM
schurcr
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ozvena
I said that: they are "banned from non-ROAR races in my local club." Actually as of today, they are none approved by ROAR so you can say that they are banned by ROAR. Let's not play with words.

They will stay cheap when you buy individual cells. Actually, I think they may get even stupidly cheap as they will become the mainstream cells for hybrid cars. Lipo can't do that today and I doubt it will ever be able to do it.
[/I]
I've been in this racing game long enough to know that as soon as batteries from other application become RC race batteries they don't stay cheap.

As far as who's playing with words, ROAR has not banned LiFePO. You're the one playing with words by saying they are. What I said is there are no approval criteria or process for these batteries. I know that EFRA has included them in their LiPo rules and they must meet the LiPo pack dimension specs for consideration.

As far as LiFePO being the best battery technology, I'm not falling for the hype. In the 15 years I've been racing I've seen 2 battery technology evolutions NiCad to NiMh and NiMh to LiPo and both times the hype was the new incoming cell tech was the best tech for our application, they're better, they last longer and the list goes on. In the end racers will push battery cells beyond the limits of it's intended original market. LiFePO will be no different.