R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
spongerX
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by spongerX
I got my bulk heads from leg iron (greig) today and quickly installed them to check clearance with my spur. 87t 48p fit with about 1.5mm of clearance between the chassis plate and spur gear. The Robinson Racing super machined gear seemed to have a bit more clearance than the stock 87t Kimbrough gear. Just gotta figure out how to clearance the chassis plate to fit the motor without cutting right through it. The upper plate looks easy enough to modify.

I've got a PPD billet lipo weight in the battery tray with a Diggity lipo tray and am running flipped belts. The front belt passes really close to the lipo tray because it's sitting on top of the PPD billet weight. Hopefully with the motor moved in 5mm I'll be able to get rid of the chassis weight plate. If not I'll just have to grind down the corner of the Diggity tray.
After trimming the top plate and grinding out the bottom plate and mounting up my motor I discovered that my 28/87 gearing wouldnt fit. With the lowered layshaft the pinion and spur mate further out on the spur (more towards the largest diameter point of the spur) so the motor is more forward. The new bulkhead motor mounts are the same dimensions as the stock parts. Machining these to move the motor further forward maybe 2-3 more mm would have allowed the use of the stock 87t spur. I've got a 24/75 combo on now but had to trim the top plate really close to the mounting screw hole. Hopefully it doesnt crack there. An 81T spur might be better suited to my current gearing. I don't want to go 64p cos my track is fairly dirty.