R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Case For Spec ESC Profiles
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Well, the current issue is that you have to spend $350-$400 on a new ESC or be .4 off. And that means everybody has to spend that kind of money just to all get back in line right where they were. And it looks like Tekin is about to drop new software to get back in the game, which means if you're using some other ESC, you need to drop $150+hotwire if you want to keep up with your Tekin peers. And then if Novak's new software is .2 faster... Now 13.5 is faster than 3.5, and you have to spend $100 on new 25.5 motors to slow back down. Or we could just stop this now and focus on other things.

Am I being daft? You guys have seen what's going on at big races, right? That stuff will trickle down to your happy little clubs.
The only people who are that far ahead based on speed control are the sponsored drivers who are going to beat average joe on the track anyway. Average Joe isn't going to be near a .4s per lap increase with just an ESC change and any advantage he does gain will be negated the first time he stuffs it. Once Tekin's software is released you won't need to spend $350+ on an ESC to get that advantage and it will not be long before other manufacturers catch up, from what I hear the Mamba already has or is darn near. The technology is still very new and still changing. I don't think it will be too much longer before most new ESCs are on a fairly level playing field. Right now the hobby is going through growing pains with the new technology...but that is part of growing.