R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Any tracks near Alexandria Virginia?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Big C
Tech Apprentice

I've considered opening an indoor offroad RC track in NOVA- however I think the competitor base is too small and follows the latest "fad" a bit too easily. I've seen track owners have major difficulties when their track becomes old news and everyone jumps on something else. Also, when I was racing I didn't see hardly any loyalty to the hosting hobby shop - most of the regular racers were getting quite a bit of product from other shops, online or "hookups". I think the only way to make it/keep it viable is to do it as part of a park or other local gov't initiative - it's just really hard to convince them there is enough local interest (because there usually isn't)

I'd love nothing more to quit my government job and hang out w/racers all day - it just doesn't seem like a real great way to make money, even with a hobby shop/etc. Maybe one day I'll find a good cash cow business to run in the background so I can host a track for us to play at and not worry about making money on it. Until then I'm on the sidelines until there is something local to race at or until my kids are old enough and want to race RC.....