R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 733 1/10 200mm touring
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
HarryN
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Regarding the 1st gear housing, there are actually 2 types of one way bearing. One has a tight fit and the other has a loose fit. The tight one needs grease, because the oil is not enough when overheats locks. We use silicon based grease. This type of bearings is the ones that come on the kit and also the bearings used in the silver flange housing. We have optional one way bearings, orange flange housing. This one is loose fit and need oil to work. We use one way lube and we have no problem at all.

Regarding the plastic, the above information is correct. The plastic included now in the kits and all the spares available is already a better quality than the one in the first batch. There is also a softer arm in the works. This is a lot more durable and crash friendly. Myself and other Serpent works drivers, have being testing different types of plastic arms for a couple of months in order to find the best compromise in performance and resistance. They should be ready and available very soon.
Wow, thank you very much. I have always equated Serpent to quality engineering and tons of fun. So when I heard about the problems about the 733, at first I didn't believe it until a few more people told me about it. This led me to come to this thread and ask about it.

So if I order a 733 now, does that mean I have the better made plastic and not the cheap stuff that snaps just by looking at it?

Also, the one-way bearing. I am a bit confused. Are you saying the orange one is too lose and wont work unless oiled? Or stick with the silver one?

Shall I wait on buying a 733 until the new softer and more durable parts come out?

I am planning on going Nitro racing in the spring and summer and would definitely like to jump back on the Serpent bandwagon again. But if there are still bugs being worked out, I'd like to know them ahead of time so I know what to expect.

How is the assembly of the car? Are they still like Serpents of years back with all the modifications, shavings, dremeling to make anything fit? Again, please be honest.