R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - To ROAR Fixed Timing On Stock Brushless Motors
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 AM
tc3team
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pejota
Just to make a counterpoint, although i agree in some aspects with what TC3team just wrote.

Novak Havoc ESC and motor run @ $150-$160 from your LHS. A Zippy Flightmax 4000mah Lipo runs @ $35 shipped to your door from Hong Kong. The Thunder AC6 charger is @ $60 shipped.

That's @ $255 for a power train that's going to last you a very, VERY long time.

We've had guys interested in coming back to the hobby ask us about NiCads, motors, NiMH, etc. When we tell them the current price for this new tech AND how long it lasts they get incredibly excited. The price, run time and life span of Lipos is what really interests them in coming back.

However, with the price of used, brushed ESCs these days and a silver can off the shelf, that would be a great way to get those people on the fence about spending money hooked into the hobby. Heck, i'm sure most of us have brushed ESCs we could just give people.
It's difficult to have your cake and eat it.

Open it up to lipo and then there's already an advantage. Any lower grade, cheaper brushless ESC is not going to have the technical edge inside it, to allow it to compete agains the likes of the top $ speed controls, so it would still need to be replaced later any way.

I would say go for the brushed motor ESC and silver can. Usually cheaper, and less to worry about if it does go up in smoke or stop working to consider quitting.

I do agree that lipo and brushless are the future of r/c though, but not for the start of someones r/c life in racing when the primary concept is to put cost aside and get FUN out of the hobby.

Let the hard work and higher cost come through into season 2 if they are ready to step up to the challenge then...

Once ANY motor is slowed down, the car becomes more managable for someone new or inexperienced.

If you don't have the option to make it fast from the first lap you turn, you are left with an easier to control car!

I just hope more people see this perspective. It is too easy to throw a brushless system into a car and see it go insanely fast, even the "slower" 17.5 motors are capable of too much speed for a newcomer.

This kinda scene happens too much.

I am not anti new tech, but it does already have it's own place in r/c - with people who can learn fast how to make it fast, and at a cost.....

And a 17.5 class is still tempting meat for a team driver to enter.... It is new tech, it is.... BRUSHLESS- we want to make them faster.

Now brushless is here, there is less enthusiasm to make brushed motors fast - especially a silver can motor that cannot be opened.

Last edited by tc3team; 12-16-2009 at 05:12 AM.