R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - To ROAR Fixed Timing On Stock Brushless Motors
Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Dondor
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been racing a long time and have seen alot of the old "cheats" on the fixed endbell 27 motors. Have run the old 8min races in 12th scale with 1200scr's.

Technology happens.

At our local outdoor parking lot track, certain designs make our 17.5 class faster than our nitro class. We have had some builds in which a 2 day race the 17.5 was the same speed as 13.5, and this was with some very high end factory team drivers.

Fast guys that can set up will always be fast guys regardless of what motor they are running or anything. But, if we implement fixed standards for motors and speed controls, what happens when or if those same fast guys start to break the rules?

From a purely moral standpoint, how fun is it racing with guys that will break rules in order to win? How can one honestly enjoy winning if they have to break the rules in order to do it?

There are about 4-6 drivers I race with locally that beat me easily every time we go race. This year we are entertaining moving to 13.5, and allowing the novice and newer drivers to have the 17.5 class as an advancement from novice. Without the said 4-6 drivers in the 17.5 class I could probably dominate the 17.5, could being the most important word seeing as there are only about 7 of us running in 17.5 right now. My point is this, what would be more fun? Winning in a class that doesn't offer the competition for me to get better? Or racing in a class with better competition in order to make myself a better racer?

Fast guys are fast guys, cheaters are cheaters, haters are haters, and nitro smells bad and is too loud.

Oh that knife fight in the phonebooth line was hilarious.

On road racing is all about speed, how can we get faster. I agree with Rob in that specing the motors and speedos is not the best answer. I agree with Randy in that specing tires might be the best option right now as losing mechanical grip will slow the cars down both in asphalt and especially carpet. Perhaps we can slow them down until the technology shift that is happening will crest and we can begin to level everything back out.

I also agree with the part about the sticker and t-shirt rule is absurd.

I race to have fun. I highly doubt I will be competitive regionally or nationally as I don't have the time or funds to commit to the travel schedule that would necessitate it.

Local tracks for the most part are the ones that will need to come up with workable solutions to the inherent "speed crisis" that we are having right now, as that is where the majority of the racing is going to happen. Without the novice or new drivers advancing from local talent to national level talent, where will our hobby go?