R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Confused about Battery and Motor Specs
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 12:04 PM
DaneW
Tech Initiate

From what I can tell from feedback so far, is that there is really no reason to go with a 2650kV motor unless I can get ahold of one for pretty cheap, and really, long term, it's just best to shoot for either 2200kV or 1800kV.

Seems several people have talked about using an 1800kV motor and stepping up from 4S to 5S as I get more experience. I assume the 4S battery will give me less speed than the 5S, and is something better to learn on?

I don't want to go crazy buying several motors and batteries, so if I could get a motor that I could step from one battery to another as I learn, that'd be great. Or alternatively, one battery and two motors, and "upgrade" as I learn, but I'm not quite sure which route is the better of the two.

I guess from what I've read so far, given my lack of experience (I won't be racing on a track until I get experience, the track is available for practice 6-7 days a week) I'll be better suited going with something like an 1800kV motor and getting a bigger/better battery as I get a hang of things.

Is that about right? And I'll want at least a 30C battery as well, but could probably get away with a 20C battery as I'm learning, and step up to a 30C battery when I go from 4S to 5S?

Edit: Also, cost wise, is the ESC needed to run a 2650kV motor vs a 2200kV motor vs a 1800kV motor going to vary much? Do I need a really expensive ESC to run one setup vs another, or can I get some "middle of the line" ESC that could run any of the 3? I'm trying to avoid spending too much money on the initial setup, and depending on how much time I have to dedicate and how competitive I get with it, worry about getting a different (aka more expensive) ESC sometime down the road.