R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 PM
caltek1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up 3Racing MO5 Ball Diff

I am very happy with the MO5 and I agree with Granpa that the new gear sets are not the same quality as the old sets. I am also using the 3Racing steering set on my MO5M aand using the plastic on my MO5L. I do have the Tamiya steering set coming as well as the Tamiya MO5 Ball diff. I hope its as good as the 3Racing offering.

I did some testing today and have this to report. The same report is on the MO3/MO5 Thread in the Aussie section.

Well I have been procrastinating about giving this diff a try and after Friday nights effort at Windsor, decided that I would fit this to my MO5M.

The first thing I did was to strip it down. I checked all of the parts. I sanded the diff rings so they were nice and smooth, cleaned the clear diff grease off the rest of the parts and re-greased the thrust bearing. During the rebuild I used AW grease. When finished I put the assembly in my car and tightened it in the car. The black blades were then fitted to the universals and I was under way.

I set the diff as tight as I could get it and then went to Whalan to test the car out. I started with the usual tyre combination and only ran 3/4 pace for about 5/6 laps just to see what handling difference would occur. I suddenly had more steering than I needed, so I adjusted my steering speed and I also checked the diff to see if the diff had loosened up, which it hadn't.

I then set about using full throttle and concentrating on my lines. In no time the pack was gone and the car was so much easier to drive. With the ball diff the car tracked straight with no wander and went into the corners tighter, not the push I was getting from a really tight ball diff. It was so good I stayed and proceeded until pack no 2 was gone. The great part is the blades showed no sign of letting go and the diff is the same tension as when I started.

To say I am impressed with the 3Racing MO5 Ball diff is an understatement. I am now looking forward to comparing it to Tamiya's new ball diff this week. I am also glad to see the problems I was having with the car with the old diff have gone a way.

Now to just try it under race conditions.

Later,

Calvin.