R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Electric On Road Summit ( Meeting ) < possible ?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Headshot
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tim, the answer is somewhat simple, but maybe not what everybody wants to hear. To make RC racing sane and affordable, which is MOST necessary for the growth of the sport, we only need to look at the huge turnouts at TCS races, the new growth of RCGT, and the continued support of USVTA.

In my opinion, and this is coming from a new participant, all that is needed is to make ROAR, EFRA and IFMAR inconsequential. In the shooting sports we had a large governing body that didn't listen to the 90% of the membership that MADE that sport what it was. Five people left, formed a new shooting discipline, and it thrived while the other one dwindled. After a few years of growth for the new upstart group and continued spiraling losses of the old guard, the old guard finally decided to make some changes.

Yes, speed is what everybody wants. When I first showed up at an on road track and saw guys flying around with their $1500 cars with 10.5s, I figured I can always just stick to golf. But I found Porsche Cup with spec racing that made sense. Was it slow? For guys with too much ego and self-importance, yes. And the "No turn marshals" rule where if you flip you are out of the race? The majority hated that, but the racers who participated LOVED it. There was actually track courtesy, no hacking(unless I was driving, but trust me it was accidental...), giving up the inside line if the other car was already there. Top speed? Between 22mph and 28mph, depending on gearing, all run with a plain silver can motor. I had less than $450 into my Porsche Cup car.....exactly what RCGT is allowing, USVTA is doing with 21.5s, TCS is doing with their spec class divisions.

Speed is relative......5 cars battling door to door is just as exciting for the racer at 25mph as it is for the spectators. Someone in that crowd might actually think to themselves how they would love to try this.....

Tell a spectator that your car with the 8.5 BL doing 50+mph that you have $2000 into including your NASA supplied set up and tweak stations, computer control station and boxes of spare parts for the total rebuild if you hit the backstraight board at full speed......is he excited to out the next day and drop that money to get in? Ummmm....no.

I know I am a nobody, but my experiences in the shooting sports might be way more extensive than most here in RC racing, and it really is the same thing. In the shooting sports, if you want to run a $3000 race gun against me with a stock Glock, go ahead. It is fun when I kick their ass.....

I love the idea of RC racing, and I will be running in RCGT....and in USVTA if a track down here had it. I would love to participate in TCS racing as well, but for now, RCGT will be all that I will play with. I will shut up now. LOL