R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - AKA Super Soft vs Soft compound
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Michael#81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

Ok Guys! I did my tire testing last night at our indoor track with the Truggy and the Buggy. Keep in mind our indoor track is a clay base and usually pretty cold. It was about 45* to 50* track temp.

Buggy
Here is what I found out. I tried the SS Grids on my buggy at the first of the day and the car was locked to the track. It had almost to much traction. I went to the SS City blocks and they were the ticket on the cold damp track. Thru practice I ran the SS City Blocks and they just kept getting better. I continued to run the SS Blocks thru all the first 2 quals as they were working awesome. In between the 2nd and 3rd round I tried the SS Grids and they were pretty good but I still liked the SS Blocks. I went back to the SS Blocks and ran them in the 3rd qual and as the track was starting to dry it seemed like the SS Blocks on the front were giving it to much steering and overpowering the rear. In the main I went to Soft Blocks in the front and SS Blocks in the rear and that tire setup was dialed. The Soft's in the front were just enough to make the car have really good steering but not over powering the rear and the rear SS kept the car locked down.

Truggy
In the Truggy I started out with the SS Blocks and ran them through practice. I also tried the SS Grids in practice when the track was cold and damp and they were to much. They were completely stuck and was pushing everywhere. I went back to the SS Blocks and continued to run them through practice and through the quals. In between the 2nd and 3rd round I put the SS Grids back on and tried them as the track dried out and they were the ticket now. The track was starting to slick a little bit and the SS Grids had more grip and kept the Truggy locked and I had great traction and enough steering. I ran these the 3rd qual and the 20 minute main and they still look brand new. Keep in mind I am really trigger happy and usually wear tires pretty good and these don't have any wear at all. A lot of other guys were running the Clay Switches and they seemed decent but you could see the difference between them and the SS Grids as my Truggy looked more stable. I will say that when the track dries a little bit the SS Grids will be the tire of choice for Truggy now. I could have ran them all day if I would have changed my setup to free the truck up at the beginning but I had a lot of other testing to do so I just left it.

The SS Grids are going to be a great alternative and probably be a little better then the Clay Switches, Clay Boas, and Pink Taper pin type tires. The SS City Blocks are the best all around tire and I could have ran them all day if I would have wanted to change things around a little bit. I know a couple of guys who have them now and they did run them all day on the Truggy and Buggy and they looked good all day on both of his vehicles.