R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2WD electric Sedan to save the class?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
jiml
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
From my Experience with an 1/10th off road class, a 2WD chassis can be more popular than current 4WD chassis in TC, this might bring more people back to this hobby for following reasons.
1: Lower chassis cost/ IMO a kit around $200 is possible
2: Less wear/economical running cost
3: Less damaged on a crash/ lots of ppl went to 1/8th off road cuz car don't break after a reasonable crash.
4: compare to smaller scale cars more room for electrics / I don't mean to say anything bad about mini-z or cup racing cars but to me they are too sensitive to set up change or too compact for human's finger size
5: Roomy layout don't need a low profile servo, Micro RX or and micro ESC
6: limited over all traction requires only a controllable horse power.
7: last but not least/ get rid of body rules. people love to race their dream cars than a Mazda 6. just like an RCGT rules lets drive some fancy cars!
what do you think?
It's good to think outside the box but 2wd touring car won't work. You lose a lot of traction when you lose 2 drive wheels. Carpet won't be so bad, but a low traction outdoor track (like Brownie's) would be a handful and people would get fustrated easily.

Back in the day the nitro cars had 2 wheel drive classes for 1/10 and 1/8. The idea was that with 2wd it was far more about driving and not about spending a fortune on tires. Mostly it was the old timers who remember the pan cars. As motors became more powerful the 2wd cars were just too difficult to drive, and the classes disappeared quickly.

The answer to the problems of on road electric racing are not with the cars, the motors, the batteries, or the speed controls. It's with the racers.