R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
oldrcr
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
man, really quite interesting. instead of using a steady state drive circuit, using the PWM drive circuit, the speedo can provide max torque out of the motor at any rpm. the only limiting factor is the amount of current that is available. i also see that the power required to run the PWM drive circuit is more then a steady state drive circuit, so that may explain why the "RX" pack is direct connected to the speedo to allow for max performance of the PWM drive circuit.

or at leat that is my understand from what I have read
from what I have seen when looking at the output of most esc's on an oscilloscope, even brushed not so long ago (seems like yesterday), they all have been using PWM for many years, over 20 if my memory of when I first looked at the output of an ESC is correct. So, PWM is not new. They are just using a modulation algorithm better than anyone else's, so far. I still contend that its likely Tekin, because they can with the RS and its programmability, and others soon as well, will figure out the modulation algorithm and implement it, and then all will be on the same level again. Faster for all hopefully. If history repeats itself, again, that is always how it has been, someone always finds something good, then all latch onto it, copy it as they see it, even make improvements, then we move on to the next new thing. The extra cost for one of these new ESC's, well, they can do it since they have the buzz, for now...
This happened in slots about 30 years ago when the first electronic controllers came out, everybody thought they were using circuitry to double the voltage, and any other speculation you could think of. I built many, modified many more, and I can tell you, the hi tech electronic versions just made control better, but did not increase overall power. The rules didn't allow for it anyway. It would have been easier to play games with voltage increases with slots because the power source was basically not limited as much as we have with our limited batteries. You can only get so many watts of electricity out of a battery, when it is empty, its empty. Even if you were to double the voltage, you would use up twice, (really more than twice due to inefficiencies) of the amp/hours available.
I've been racing for almost 40 years, have seen this before, many times, I am sure I will live long enough too see it a few more.