R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rubber vs Foam on carpet indoor
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 AM
HarryN
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChristopherKee
If you wanna be fast on foam you need to true them down even more then they come packaged. And at "race ready" size, you are pretty much 2 runs and done. So at $20 a SET you get 2 runs. You can use them further, but they fall off time wise quickly. At big races, foams are pretty much 1 run done.

Compared to rubber tires, that's not really beating anything out of the water. For rubber 28's or 32's. You get between 6-8 good runs on carpet at $30 a SET. After that they fall off time wise but not as drastic as foam tires. I normally run a set of Sorex 28's about 12 runs before they are practice tires.

In a nut shell, the world seems to race rubber tire carpet and organizations are trying to kill foam TC. So I would say run rubber.
But see, the thing is this. I gave one set of tires to Chase. It was the foams I was running on the AVID and it was doing quite well. And not much wear at all on the foams. I just wanted to try out a new pair of foams just to see the difference.

As it turns out, Chase did just fine without the foams being trued. When he measured the foams I gave him, he even said they were too big. But yet he turned a 10.2.

This is a nice conversation to have at The Track. I like discussions like this. Keeps things interesting and something to think about instead of the usual "F it, he ain't listening, piss off".