R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - XRAY T3
Thread: XRAY T3
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
kuruption
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just took the front end off of my T3 to get a better look at the damage.

It appears that Xray may have made the right analysis about chassis flex, sorta.... based on the damage, I am guessing what happened was that in the turn the chassis was doing it's thing of flexing... but then I hit the side. Due to the flex in the chassis, the counter-sunk screw hole expanded slightly, so when the impact occurred, the screw had a "slightly larger than normal" hole that it was forced through. The location of the nearby hole to support the suspension holder allows the chassis to flex that much further. The distance between the two is only about 1.75mm on the bottom side of the chassis.

For comparison, you would see similar damage to a piece of wood if you hammered a nail through the wood. That is, the splintering effect radiating from the hole.

I still firmly believe this is a design flaw. Too many people are seeing failures in the same location due to the same type of impacts. I believe that as the weeks continue on with more and more racers putting their T3's on the track, the number of people reporting failures will increase. It's probably only a matter of time before more people see these issues.

I'm not trying to bash Xray regarding this issue... I am merely pointing out I am yet another victim of this failure. I don't have enough experience with the brand to completely make a judgment yet; the fact is that new designs are bound to exhibit things engineers didn't anticipate.

If Xrays were perfect, they wouldn't be making revisions to them every year. So, I'll (personally) reserve judgment on the brand while Xray collects the data related to the failure and makes the proper correction to the design. The new bulkhead may be their "fix" but I think this is really a band-aid, and they may have to make some more corrections to the chassis in the future.