R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - XRAY T3
Thread: XRAY T3
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 AM
TRXRACER99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
So the bar is just sitting in there? I mean it is not screwed in the mounts?

I think this is a real defect. The design may indeed provide the chassis flex required to achieve traction goals but this is obviously not the way to go about it as the tradeoff in chassis durability is too big. If this was a real car it would be recalled. I commend the initiative of the distributors that have undertook to replace the part at their own expense, but Xray is ultimately responsible. We're not all racing on perfect tracks and in some countries this kind of problem is rightfully considered a manufacturing fault hence the item should be replaced at manufacturer's cost, no discussion. I am pretty sure under European laws this would be the case. Someone will probably test this at some point. Too bad Xray doesn't see it that way. I think a move towards re-designing the part and replacing it at no cost to the people who already bought the car would go a long way towards re-establishing Xray street cred. Broken chassies should be replaced too (and in Australia, they would have to do it or refund the money).

There are other ways to achieve what Xray claims to be the added flex. If they really need the suspension holder to be small and affixed with just one screw, they can build in the car a failure point that will protect the chassis in a crash, say make the suspension arm give in first. This method is very well known in the engineering world. Just look at modern cars that have crumple zones. Now nobody wants to test those in real life, but the manufacturer is obliged to protect you in case you (unwillingly) do. This is the main reason why I think Xray have dug themselves in by insisiting they have done everything right and you need to compromise handling if you want durability. Real progress comes when you don't need to have tradeoffs like that.
I just ran with vic last night with his Rod in there and he had the most traction out of any one there. Xray cars are built to race not to hit walls extremely hard. But if you do break something you do not blame it on the company that product. Blame yourself .