R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Pro!
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 09:16 AM
toybreaker
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa
Have you painted your body?
Yepp, painted. Makes it tough to see clearences

Originally Posted by MaxSp97
Toybreaker,
Here is my F104 pictures I posted:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/6500026-post1380.html
I saw your posted when digging for ideas. I really like the shorter top plate but i am concerned about making the bottom plate more vulnerable to breaking without the extra rigidity.

Originally Posted by Geppetto
toybreaker:
I use the Orion LiPo cells in my F104. Since I already had 6 of these packs, I didn't really want to purchase additional cells.

Basically, I mount the pack with the battery connections at the back of the chassis. See photo.

Regarding electronics... I'm brainstorming another method of mounting and protecting the electronics. During a race 2 weeks ago, my F104 got turned around on the track. As a result, my car was hit broadside. This impact totally destroyed my Rx case. See photo. I'm glad that it was the Rx and not the ESC.

I'm going to try a side mount that has a little flex so as to reduce the possibility of my electronics being destroyed.

Last, our indoor track is smooth, flat and extremely high traction asphalt. I have found that my car handles best with all 4 post installed. It means that I have to remove 2 post to charge the battery though.
Geppetto
Thanks man, that helps a ton. I thought about going in backwards but assumed (i know, i know) it wouldn't work. If i put that pack in forward I was going to have to notch the top plate on the sides, possibly making a weak spot. I like it in the back like that. I can notch the back and do it wide enough to fit the Orion 3800 or the Reedy 5000. the only concern is the width of the 5000 with the swing out pods but i will figure that out.

Thanks everyone so much for the tips. I really want this done right and feel i have some great info and pics to lean on.