R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - First Time engine tear down questions.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
22Racer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by H9_nutter
There is a small amount of wear in the con ron crank pin bush. How much is to much and how do you measure?
The best way to measure the crank is with a Micrometer, they are not very expensive. A caliper can give you a decent measurement but not nearly as accurate. There are not too many that can measure a rod bushing, I use a bore guage that measure's within .0001 inch. Even when I resize sleeve for people I tell them what the rod wear is. With experience you can feel the rod on the crank and tell if it's too much but it is still a guess.
For the money your best bet is to send it to someone that can measure all theses things and feel the bearings and have the tools to replace bearings, etc. I only charge $35.00 to rebuild a motor and it includes sleeve resizing. (not parts)

As far as cleaning a motor, I tear everything apart, take out the front bearing, take off the carb. I use a Hotsy high pressure washer and put the motor parts in a basket. It uses Alkalai hot water, everything comes out more clean than it was new. I usually pop the seal off the front bearing and wash the bearing too, then I decide if it is worth reusing or not.

Rex