R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Proposed new 1/8th scale 2WD Pan Car “Classic” class for 2010 Southwest Series
Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM
djmachinist
Tech Adept

Default Proposed new 1/8th scale 2WD Pan Car “Classic” class for 2010 Southwest Series

I would like to propose a simple 2WD 1/8 spec class with spec engines developed in the US. We seem to shoot ourselves in the foot every time we try to start a spec class in this country. It usually starts out as a low cost spec class with inexpensive engines then morphs into a high cost highly competive (including pro driver participation) monster after a few years (200mm 10th Sedan class comes to mind!).

This class of racing is called “2WD Classic” in Europe. It is very popular in France and northern Italy.

I think that this class of car is badly needed in the U.S. , something needs to be done about the state of 1/8 scale racing .The cars have gotten so technical and so fast that only a handful of drivers can extract the performance out of them. They truely have become the Formula One of R/C car racing , but real Formula One has lesser series with slower cars
( GP2 , Formula 3 , Formula Ford etc.) to train drivers, and that's what is needed for 1/8 on-road , a simpler, easier to set-up and cheaper class with stable rules.

I agree the initial cost of the cars will not be much different than the present crop of 4wd kits, However, the cost of maintaining these cars should be much cheaper. The cars are super strong. They should be able to take a pretty hard hit. They require in Europe a Spec 21. RB and Novarossi both sell an budget engine for a street price of less than $250.00. All drive train components, engines, clutches, gears, etc. will last longer due to less stress on the drivetrains. You won’t have to grind away your tires trying to maintain tire ratios.
You wont have to spend $500.00 to $800.00 for a competive engine. My two Murnan Flash 21's cost me $800.00 a piece. Great engines but lets get real!!

I don't think there is a more appropriate time for a resurgence in 1/8 pan car racing than now. I see a several good reasons for why, but the ones that stand out are lowered cost and simplicity. If this class is to grow and have longevity, than the rules must be written with the idea that it must remain consistently cost effective with little or no deviation.

I have been a huge fan of 1/8 on road since 1975. I have seen the class grow and later shrink over the years. I always felt that this class needed an entry level class. Looking back over the history of 1/8, you will find that there was always an 1/8 class that fed the next generation of technology. Begining with pan cars progressing to 2WD suspension cars then to 4WD. In 1990, as the popularity of 1/8 declining in the late eighties and early nineties I was excited to learn that Serpent would be producing a 1/10 or 235 chassis. I thought that this would be an easier class to promote as far as expenses were concerned and the skill required to drive one. I believe that this may actually have worked and may have been a "feeder class" to 1/8 as the years went by. However, we all know what happened to that class. That being said, I would love nothing more than to see a resurgence of 1/8 pan car racing. I think it should be embraced as a class all it's own and as time goes on it may help to feed the 4WD class. I am looking to it as a car and type of racing that will help to promote 1/8 racing and most importantly, draw new blood into the sport.

I will Post a set of proposed rules and examples of brands of cars now available in Europe.

Last edited by djmachinist; 11-23-2009 at 12:42 PM.