R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Engine Mods
Thread: Engine Mods
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 09:38 AM
EdwardN
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by afm
Totally agree with that TG, that is why there are so many pipes out there in the market, and each manufacturer and it's different models of pipe try to enhance different "power bands", but if you don't tune them correctly to your engine and application, they are worthless.
But lets not confuse the pipe's lenght by itself with total exhaust lenght, that is why i think that the best explained method is the one given by RB Products and it is called "pipe to manifold lenght", which will give us the effects you so well explained.

Sorry if i got confused between those two concepts that started this argument (pipe lenght vs total exhaust lenght), that in the end has been very productive for everyone.
Agree with you 100%.
I am talking about length of tuned pipe ( total lenght) wich is dictating by RPM of our engines ( applications).
Over the years Tuned ( Resonance) pipe went through whole type of development and reshaping. In 70's pipes looked very thin and very long cons, hole on the stinger was arround 8.5-9 mm, Later was add middle straight piece, which actualy gave a lot of more benefits, later it start getting fatter and cons became shorter, stinger hole was going smaller too-7mm-6mm. etc. So the whole evolution came through the development. What we have now is lates best possible, but still lenght of the pipe dictate when charging porcess will began ( poweer add). Shape was chaging to improve efficiency. On the beggining it was adding 5-8 %, later 10-15 and now is about 18up to 25%. Now on control line speed models ( .15 engine) stinger size is 4.5 mm. much slmaller then we have on our RC cars. Those pipes are working on only one way-highest possible RPM during the fly, so not everything frome those designs can be apply to our application, but I am sure some of them easy wilol work ( right now experimenting on it too). BTW, I saw new Mugen pipe on Robby Collins car-that is blasting pipe.

AFM