R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Are my battrey packs messed up? 6 cell reading 8 volts charged, 7.5 discharged
Old 11-21-2009, 12:46 AM
ZiG-87
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Are my battrey packs messed up? 6 cell reading 8 volts charged, 7.5 discharged

Ok, so my nimh batts SEEMED fine for the longest time, but today when I tried to charge one of them, it triggered the peak detection in like 5 minutes. So I was kind of curious and stuck the battery in my truck. It also registered something like 8 volts, despite it being a 6 cell pack. It ran like a fully charged pack for maybe 5 minutes.

I threw it back on the charger and this time it seemed to charge normally, but it still read 8 volts. I charged my other pack and it was also reading 8 volts. I then discharged both packs by driving the truck til it would barely move on its own power, and then used an automotive 1157 bulb to discharge them until the bulb wouldn't even glow. Brought out the multimeter again and this time the pack read about 7.5 volts? wtf?

So I guess what I would like to know is if anyone has measured the voltage of their 6 cell packs before and after discharging them, and what kind of voltage did they get? Because I find it very odd that the 7.2v battery would be 'dead' and still read 7.5 volts.