R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 PM
BrodieMan
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The On-Road thread has a ton of info on li-po batteries, esc's,everything really. I have had zero problems with my Spektrum DX3.0 radio, recievers and servos and same with my Novak GTB w Velociti 6.5 brushless motor/esc combo and again with my Team Orion Carbon Li-Po's. I haven't had a local place to race so I haven't had the need to get crazy tech gear but honestly I don't need it and my car is stupid fast and everything has worked perfectly for three years.
From what I've read over the years
Castle Mamba brushless systems are extremely good and very economical.

Spektrum radios are very very good but apparently the one's with telemetry are a waste of money because the telemetry doesn't work that good.

Servo's won't be anything you need to worry about until you start racing.

Li-Po's: read up on this as there is lot's of opinions. Basically you can spend a lot of money on quality like Team Orion (kokam) or very little money on a lesser quality like Turnigy. The cheaper battery probably won't last as long as the expensive one but the expensive one can "Puff" too. so although I have had absolutely no problems with my Orions I would recommend you go for the cheaper Turnigy, MaxAmps etc. I have a basic Integy charger that works for me just fine although it's not fancy by any means it does the trick. Remember with Li-Po's there is a very real risk of FIRE so charge your batteries in li-po bag, big coffee tin, pot etc and FOLLOW manufacturers directions ALWAYS. Keep up posted DethRC. Cheers