R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How offen do you change you air filter?? Do you clean or replace
Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 PM
xlgraphicspro
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Of all you "MX" guys I hope you don't run K&N.....

I've not only come from racing Pro Quads but also raced SCCA Pro Rally.

Foam filters are THE best defense for an engine.

Also make sure you use an "R/C" foam filter oil. Most that are from outside of the industry play havoc with glow plugs, tune and some even gum up bearings and carbon up combustion chambers.

I've actually had more sucess running losi air filters, and using the K@N filter oil, in combination with the co-flex outer wrap. 2 years + with the same 2 engines for the last 2 years. 1 regular v-spec, and 1 O.S. speed. Both run flawlessly and have yet to flame out due to anything other than running out of fuel. I haven't even had to replace any bearings, pistons, con rods or sleaves. The guys I run against can attest to the fact that I rarely lose a race to a flameout, they pray for me to have mechanical failures, because they know my motor maintinance habits prevent me from having issues.

If I were to try anything new, it would be the kalgard stuff, it's similar to what I've been using. and I would never actually use a K@N air filter, because they are too bulky for rc racing, on top of it all they are harder to take appart and clean.