Thread: TQ Racing SX8
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Disel760
Tech Apprentice

Default Roy Hit the spot I do the same

Roy Hit the spot I do the same
Originally Posted by RoyJ

1. I've learned to first clean new knuckle bolt-threads with brake cleaner, since they usually have a little oil on them. Remember how shiny black the hardware was in the kit? Then I apply red threadlock evenly on the first 4 threads. Yes red, but not too much.

2. When reusing bolts in rebuilds, I'll first screw them into a 4mm die to clean the threads of hardened red residue, before applying fresh threadlock. A hobby knife works well if you're without the die tool.

3. Tighten with a T-handled allen wrench, for max hand-torque.

4. Unfortunately the threaded inserts on the cast-aluminum/stock knuckles allows enough play in the kingpin area that the bolts can work loose, and gradually strip, even with redlock. Therefore I glue the threaded inserts to the knuckles with either medium or thick CA before assembly. No more wiggling insert.

Any mfr's cast knuckles can break in a crash. So because accidents do happen, I run the cnc types on my primary race buggy. Just allow the threadlock to set-up overnight. Then check the knuckle bolts after your first few tanks on race day. Now you'll never be caught dragging a knuckle in the main.

Hope that helps.