R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SANDBAGGING AT BIG RACES!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 AM
DOMIT
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bgbelden
I too have been at this about 3 years and still no victories aside from bumping from the B to the A at local events.
My problem is that at a big event is that i spend just as much money to race as "Sandbag Bob", but Bob will win or place in the sportsman class easily and walk out with some nice swag, a kit, a trophy, and a mention in the mag. But it won't say that had "Bob" been honest with himself and others he would have finished in the C-main of pro.
So how is that fair that myself and others equally as crappy get nothing while some cheater gets it all.
And i've seen it done, "Bob" is not sponsored, but stays in the sportsman class just so he can win at big races.
Part of the problem as I see it is this:

If I were at the top of the Sportsman/Intermediate class (those names are pretty much interchangeable at the races I run in) would I want to bump up to open, or stay down in the lower class?

Let's see: I can stay down in Sportsman and run a 30 minute A-main... or I can bump to Open and run a 10 minute C-D-whatever main. I paid a $45 entry or whatever to race... which one gives me more for my money?

The difference in runtime on the mains is an incentive to sandbag... a big one.

Just a thought.

BTW Carlton really stepped up at the Finals this year: The C-mains were 20 minutes! That rocks!