R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trackside
Thread: Trackside
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Richard Abbott
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AaronR
Would a budget priced Trans Am package from say HPI (plasticy Cyclone) or Tamiya (carbon fiber-free TA05) take off like short course trucks have?
I recently "stuck one foot back in" the R/C racing pool, with the intent of not taking things too seriously. I, like Stogie, am a devout on-road enthusiast, and have been crashing cars on and off at Trackside since 1997.

My thought this time was to try WGT as a way to run a slightly cheaper car (battery/tire/etc), while still enjoying competitive racing. As with ANY class, you're gonna have the fast guys and the slow guys (myself in the later). You're also gonna have the guys with the budget, vs the guys with the deep pockets.

Regardless of what "spec" class you create, there is still enough wiggle room to allow for the "fast guys" with the "deep pockets" to dominate regardless of any controls put in place... aside from some sort of "hand-out cars". This is the case with REAL racing today!

The closest I've ever seen anything get to "spec" is the Tamiya Mini class.... but even those have (as Stogie likes to say) DARK ARTS that you NEED to be fast.

I've relagated myself to treating R/C as a HOBBY, and not a SPORT. Come down to the track, chat it up with my fellow racers, laugh about busted speed controls, and treat it like a social event. If you take it too seriously, you may end up sucking the fun out of it... for you AND those you race with.

My $.02