R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Peoria New On-Road Club?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
jland
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Default Peoria New On-Road Club?

I have a few questions and I am looking for some input from fellow racers and people who are in the Central Illinois area around Peoria.

I moved to the area 2 years ago and have been into RC for 20 years on and off. My real passion is on-road electric and can’t get myself into off-road. I have experience in Virginia working at a Hobby-town and running parking lot races. I also spent a few years over in England racing on road while in the service and learned alot from them on running a club and also did a national touring series over there (BTCC) along with some 1/12 nationals. I came back to the states and moved to Peoria. I raced a few nitro on-road races last year but the travel got too much.

There is a definite lack of (or should I say non existent) on-road tracks in the area. Has there ever been an on-road program in the Peoria area in the past? I know this would be a real tough road to go down, but with the help of a few people or the interest of a few, I am looking at maybe trying to start a racing program.

I know the current top of the line touring cars are very expensive and it is not cheap to get into it. I would love to get 15 guys running 13.5 but in reality, it is not going to happen. There are some good options with RTR’s, the new Trans Am class and F-1 classes.

I am not looking at running a carpet track, but I think if I bring it back to basics, where touring cars started, find a nice 100 X 50 ft piece of a parking lot some where, grab some pvc pipe, fire hoses, get access to a lap counter, and get something going in the spring. If you build it, they will come..lol

The Vintage Trans Am class would be a great way to get new people in the hobby, and there might be a few of you that have an old touring car lying around that would enjoy something like this. We could even run some oval. I think the most important part would be to keep it simple, and don't get it so there are 10 classes with 2 or 3 people running in them, again, use the KISS method. It would be great to have a fun atmosphere, help people get into the hobby and promote the hobby etc.

I am willing to spend a-little to get this going and spend some time organizing the program. I have some ideas and I think I can make this work. If you guys have any inputs, ideas, or would like to help that would be wonderful, please let me know. You can pm me or e-mail me at [email protected].

Here is a link to the VTA class rules.
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

Thanks,
Justin