R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
wingracer
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny A.
One thing that I would like to add to the rules mock up would be that the engines should be kept stock. Knowing racers, they will seek out every edge possble including engine mods. That might only encourage others to spend extra money to "keep up". Keep the rules simple and with little deviation, I hope, might lead to growth and longevity for this class. I have an RC 300 BD and will look into getting it together to go out and try soon.
I agree with this in principal but in practice is more of a headache than it's worth. Why? Because what is a "stock" motor? Is a JP or Maxpower stock? It's not a stock Novarossi but it is a commercially available motor? We went through this with TC's. Originally they were "stock" only. So the modders just made their motors available through normal distributors and now their modded Nova's were "stock" Ritchie's or JP's or whatever. Why should I have to pay 150 extra dollars for a motor I could have bought cheaper and done the work myself? Why is it illegal for me to mod my own motor but not to mod 200 of them and sell under my own name? Try to ban such motors and people start throwing the word "lawsuit" around.

So how do you keep it cheap? Ban the expensive engine parts. No ceramic bearings, no slugged cranks, flat top pistons and maybe a port limit and you have cheap motors. I would rather have to run a modded $200 motor than a stock $600 motor.