R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 10:46 PM
clmbia45
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Motorman
Jack I believe the answer is yes. I dont own one yet (i'm in no hurry the season don't start here for 3 more months) but brad and tennessee have been complaining about the same thing, they tell me if they loosen the spring to much it bogs the motor, and if to tight it takes forever to come on. Still havent decided what to do about it yet. Their going to play with different clutch springs first

Don't worry a red disc will come along soon. they always do.
Dennis, I've been playing with this thing for 3 hours now (I'm a bit slow, ya know).
Working backwards I am now able to satisfy my self that Step 8.6 is incorrect.
In attempting to find what is absolutely true I have measured the various parts and how they work together.
The B measurement is fixed by the depth of the recess into the 1st gear pinion and the thickness of the thrust bearing and the bearing holder. Repeated measurement of this gives a value of B=1.03 mm
Now A=0.7mm+B or 1.73mm
This is close to what you get with the 0.5mm behind the collet, (1.83 mm, measured)
Now the calculated shim thickness is:
A-B-0.7 in mm = 0.1
IF YOU REDUCE THE VALUE OF "A" BY ADDING SHIMS BEHIND THE COLLET,TO TRY TO REACH THE GIVEN VALUE OF 1.3 MM, YOU WILL GET PROGRESSIVELY NEGATIVE VALUES FOR THE SHIM THICKNESS, BECAUSE "B" IS FIXED AT 1.03 AND THE DESIRED CLUTCH GAP IS FIXED AT 0.7MM.
I'm going to try 0.8mm of spring tension as in Step 8.3 and see how that works. By the way I notice that they picture a yellow brake shoe in the graphic, which might solve all our problems.

Last edited by clmbia45; 01-04-2004 at 12:25 AM.