R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc
Old 11-07-2009, 04:35 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There are two series of parts (maybe 3 with the RTR). One is plain injected molded plastic nicknamed Siffzell for "stiff as hell". A second series came later which had chopped graphite fibers in the mix. I did a torsional stiffness test on the two and the Graphite plus (chopped graphite in stiffzel) was about 30% stiffer. Stiffer is good for carpet and high traction conditions. I liked it on indoor asphalt. More limber might be better on poorer traction asphalt. The graphite plus is lighter, but some of this is do to aggressive cutouts in the main chassis. I made these on my Stiffzell chassis to lighten them up.

My intent was to buy the more limber chassis. I wanted the flex. I had a fairly stiff car in the original TC5. I am also getting away from more delicate designs twin chassis plate designs.

Race Report, Day two of qualifying
We had a grueling set of 5 qualifiers with high traction and 105F track temp. Mine was the only car to finish 5 heats. I won two more qualifiers and finished second in a third. Only a half lap back from the two "pro's" in overall qualifying. I feel in the leaders hands, his times would have been improved due to the superior motor performance and good chassis performance of the XXX-S.

here were some problems in today's set of 3 qualifiers

X-ray T2, Rear diff did not survive 3.5 use in 3 of 5 races. Broke rod end in one.
Serpent, Rear gear diff shredded outdrives right and left. Broke rear belt under 4.5 use. DNF four times.
X-ray T2, Tekin RS pro desoldered under 4.5 use
Tamiya 414, good chassis but Tekin RS Pro thermalled in five straight heats with two different motors.
Losi XXX-S (mine) no chassis problems, had a bead come partially unglued in heat four but finished second. Tekin RX8 worked like a champ. The car was ballistic.
Another T2 lost 7 screws in prerace practice, then the left front bulkhead and A-arm securing screws were pretzelled in a crash.

All of these diff related problems had not surfaced during club races.

Only speed controls cruising through 6 minutes. The LRP TC edition (pre SXX), and Tekin RX8. Motor temps were good with both.

My best heat was the first today. I started by lowering the car to 5 mm to compensate for additional traction. This was perfect as the car felt the same as yesterday, but the better traction led to .5 seconds better lap times and my best finish on the same lap as the leaders.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-07-2009 at 04:48 PM.